FuhQuake Forum Index FuhQuake
https://fuhquake.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Old Chestnut - Quake Grenade Water / Lava Splash bug

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FuhQuake Forum Index -> Bug Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fluffy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:44 am    Post subject: Old Chestnut - Quake Grenade Water / Lava Splash bug Reply with quote

Pretty sure this one is fairly well known, but noone seems to have bothered fixing it - any particular reason why?
(Apologies if this has been discussed here already)

Try chucking a pineapple into water or lava and listen.... no splash sounds unless it has first bounced off a wall or surface before passing the water boundary, and then the splash sound is played only when it hits a 2nd surface on the other side of the boundary.
This holds true for grenades going from water to air too - try bouncing off a wall below water onto another slightly above the waterline and on the 2nd bounce a splash will be played.
No splash sound is ever played for a pineapple crossing the air/water boundary (that i'm aware of at least).
b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at the risk of sounding repetitive, its a mod issue Smile
fluffy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt this has anything to do with mods as it affects winquake qwcl2.33 zquake fuhquake mqwcl etc etc

Looked at the source code myself and found that moving the water transition check function call to earlier in the toss/bounce function makes entities splash properly as they enter and exit the water.
It seems one of the checks done in that function results in it being exited before the water transition check is performed.
A result of fixing this bug is teleporters now splash when nailed grenaded or rocketed. Also if a projectile passes through an area of sky (instead of bouncing off it), the splash sound will be played - this is the same as before except you had to bounce your grenade off a wall first, so it wasnt often heard.
I think i actually prefer the buggy original version as its less noisy Shocked

I compiled this on Id's Winquake source but fuhquake seems to share the same code (albeit a little tidier).

File: sv_phys.c
Action: Move "SV_CheckWaterTransition (ent);" call to precede "if (trace.fraction == 1)"
fuh
Almighty King

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What 'b' probably meant is that its a server side bug. Fixing it in FuhQuake or Winquake will only fix it when playing locally and not when playing on other people's servers (eg zquake or mvdsv servers). But you probably know this already.

I suggest you bring this up with Tonik @ http://www.besmella-quake.com/scripts/zquake/index.cgi since he's been responsible for most of the code in all the popular servers (mvdsv, zquake, fuhquake, ..) .
b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh damn, i said mod... meant to say mod/server
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FuhQuake Forum Index -> Bug Reports All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: