FuhQuake Forum Index FuhQuake
https://fuhquake.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone thinking what im thinking?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FuhQuake Forum Index -> General ChitChat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
[chris]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 2:28 pm    Post subject: Anyone thinking what im thinking? Reply with quote

http://www.shacknews.com/extras/e_dmc/

Since it was given permission by ID Software, could it not be construed as legal for a quake owner to use the maps?
Telejano

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone thinking what im thinking? Reply with quote

[chris] wrote:
Since it was given permission by ID Software, could it not be construed as legal for a quake owner to use the maps?

Who cares?

you can copy your kernel32.dll file from windows to your quake folder and microsoft corporate lawyers will not attack your house. No one cares if you torture with voodoo your files, or secretly copy all your files in the same folder, maybe /quake/qw/maps/half-life/. No one cares.

Of course, I suppose you can't distribute dmc maps, I guess.

imho
[chris]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have rephrased it, I meant would it not be legal to give out links to the maps themselves (and wads required) to be used in QuakeWorld...

I guess probably not since QW isnt really ID softwares work just a by-product, and even if it was this is fuhquake which is not licensed by ID, but I was wondering it because Valve was given permission to port the Quake/Quake Feel to Half-Life.
Telejano

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[chris] wrote:
I should have rephrased it, I meant would it not be legal to give out links to the maps themselves (and wads required) to be used in QuakeWorld...

I guess probably not since QW isnt really ID softwares work just a by-product, and even if it was this is fuhquake which is not licensed by ID, but I was wondering it because Valve was given permission to port the Quake/Quake Feel to Half-Life.

You can ask about DMC files to VALVe itself, that where a bunch of idiots somethimes about his property => Will say not, but ask anyway. IF these people where nice and say "Ok, you can host the dmc bsp files + the wad needed files" or "Ok, you can host the dmc bsp files" this will be Ok to use with quake withouth the need to download the whole crap. Of course, If these people refuse to distribute the .wad files separate from the whole package, will be need to retexture these maps.
wilho

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you actually tried this? Cool, playing half-life maps from quake with quake Cool
Luke

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 2:55 am    Post subject: 100% Certified Free Quake Reply with quote

100% Certified Free Quake

Dare I say that the original dm maps aren't perfect in design. It would be better to put together a collection of the best 6 custom deathmatch maps. There are plenty of great custom maps out there, but people just don't play them often enough. There are custom maps that are hands down better than the original maps in both gameplay and looks.

I think that the top 6 pack should be run as the only available maps on several popular servers, so that way we can make a 100% free Fuhquake installer that has everything needed to play on these popular servers. Yes this means that the popular servers can't run old Id Software maps, but the fact that anyone with a net connection can download the installer and start playing would help breath new life into Quake.

The map collection should be small, so that people can master each map. Nobody likes to play a map that they don't know. Also, the maps chosen should have proven themselves already. That means that they have to be custom maps that have been around for a long time. Maps that people already know. The map pak should also contain a variety of maps.

The collection should consist of 2 FFA maps, 2 duel maps, and 2 team maps. Some maps could overlap in use, for example, some maps might be intended for FFA but could also be played as a team map and visa versa. The only difficult part about this custom map pak is going to be getting it accepted by the regular Quake croud. This means getting popular servers to only run the map pak, popular players to only play on the map pak, and popular competitions to only the map pak.

It would require a commitment to change by a large part of the existing community, but the investment would have the benefit of allowing us to post one installer online that we can refer new players to. The installer should have simplistic options, so that no matter whether the user has a dated PC or a bleeding edge hot rod... they can play Quake. It wouldn't require them to buy anything and it would be 100% free and legal!
[chris]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I did not take screenshots of anywhere else yet.

http://www.quakeplayers.org/~pqwca/screenshots/fuhquake001.jpg
http://www.quakeplayers.org/~pqwca/screenshots/fuhquake002.jpg
http://www.quakeplayers.org/~pqwca/screenshots/fuhquake003.jpg
http://www.quakeplayers.org/~pqwca/screenshots/fuhquake004.jpg
http://www.quakeplayers.org/~pqwca/screenshots/fuhquake005.jpg
http://www.quakeplayers.org/~pqwca/screenshots/fuhquake006.jpg
KillJoy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugly, cya.
Urgefor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is from John Romero's website for anyone that is not aware of this:

Quote:
Quake Section Coming Soon!

I'm going to do the same thing with the Quake section that I did with the DOOM section: open it up with a few pieces of downloadable goodies and info. The first nice download I'm going to post will be all the original .MAP files we created so you can all dissect them, pick them apart, or even modify them and fix all those little errors! No ETA on this, but I promise to work on it.

The only bad part is that it appears he first mentioned this back in February of this year! Sad A busy man for sure.

Maybe if we all drop an email to Romero (contact info is on his website), we can give him a nudge to get these babies posted. The ulitmate solution to a 'free quake' setup. Sure the map files don't contain the textures, but I don't think that would be an issue with the QE1 project and the textures I've seen posted in the 24bit forum.

http://rome.ro

Mash on the 'email me' link in the upper lefthand area of the page. Couldn't hurt if a few hundred or so people asked him nicely to get the quake section up and running on his site. Smile
rahga

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Since it was given permission by ID Software, could it not be construed as legal for a quake owner to use the maps?"

Phrased that way, absolutely not. A Half-Life owner though, "maybe"... The HL EULA is fairly incomprehensible about mods.

While it may be possible to convert DMC and TFC maps back over to FuhQuake (which would, I assume, mean a lot of entity work), I really doubt many people are going to attempt this. Not only are Valve's renditions somewhat uninspired and unpopular (TFC relies solely on HL's wide install base, and doesn't even compare to Q3F quality), but I'm afraid the true masochists among us opt to work on Doom 1 projects.... I'm just glad that, if I really wanted to, I can use teh hammer for mapping.

Then again, all this isn't a horrible idea. No, a horrible idea would be porting content from Richochet. Or forcing players to use a java frontend for FuhQuake that caches the most current engine from the net, while giving the player options to try out newer games that they don't really want for only $9.95 /month. Twisted Evil
Mercury

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tfc is almost done thank you very much. Since tfc uses identical entities to tf, it made life a little easier. Like u saud tfc does use a few extra entities provided by the hl engine, but I have added code for the extra things i need in my mvdsvr. Dmc ents would be even easier to port over.

http://ap.qgl.org/mercury/
dkure

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury wrote:
but I have added code for the extra things i need in my mvdsvr.

Would it be possible for this extra support to be added to te official mvdsrv, as it seems work is still continuing on the project.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FuhQuake Forum Index -> General ChitChat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: