FuhQuake Forum Index FuhQuake
https://fuhquake.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

bugs in FuhQuake v0.31 b650
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FuhQuake Forum Index -> Bug Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GL_NEAREST requires the least computation so should be the fastest but it is possible that on some cards/drivers other filtering methods might be better optimized and so give you a higher fps maybe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mako wrote:
Quote:
your choice of texture filter will not affect input, also gl_nearest is one of the slower filters

like im gona believe an anon with no facts to back it up

im only going by how it feels and it feels better with gl_nearest

even if there was proof thats gl_nearest is the slowest method which i dont believe it is i wouldnt change because of its feel.

theres no need for "facts to back it up" when what your "backing up" is fact itself

but hey, if u wanna ignore someone trying to help ya, thats your loss... live in the dark for all i care Smile
Vic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

indeed, most of the modern drivers are optimized for GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR and GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_NEAREST. I belive Nvidia drivers switch to non-asm path for GL_NEAREST filter and that causes a huge fps drop. also, texture filter can't affect your mouse movement, only your fps - that's a fact
oldman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yay i was right

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

me too
BorisU

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vic wrote:
indeed, most of the modern drivers are optimized for GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR and GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_NEAREST. I belive Nvidia drivers switch to non-asm path for GL_NEAREST filter and that causes a huge fps drop. also, texture filter can't affect your mouse movement, only your fps - that's a fact

What are you talking about? What asm? Texture filtering is made inside video chip. The reason of fps drop is probably much simpler. Mipmapping reduces memory bandwith required for texturing.
mako

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well im not using an nvidia card, im using an ATI 9700pro and can play with any res and any eye candy i please and pull good fps, but i choose to use a lower res 640x480 with gl_nearest etc because it feels and responds better than 1024x768 with full eye candy and GL_LINEAR_blah even though i can still get 150fps

Also i get no fps change whatsoever between any gl_texturemode.

and whos to say that even if GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR is the most optimised in modern drivers it does NOT mean its the fastest.

At a guess id say that modern drivers are optimised at 1024x768 but it is not the fastest mode is it!
oldman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatever

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mako is in denial Surprised
oldman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seeing as this is meant to be a bugs thread it might be a good idea to remove the cruft

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good idea

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BorisU wrote:
Vic wrote:

What are you talking about? What asm? Texture filtering is made inside video chip. The reason of fps drop is probably much simpler. Mipmapping reduces memory bandwith required for texturing.

Well, you might be right here. But... Not everything is done by the video chips. Did you know that NVidia drivers switch to software mode for drawing lines (wireframe mode)? I'm just trying to tell that some cards might have dropped hardware support for older texture filtering modes in favour of newer ones.
kevinh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey after I got my COMP w/ intel graphics working for GL Fuh (0.31) I noticed that gl_detail works properly... but on my other comp w/ voodoo3 it doesn't it looks just like NEOFFS screenshot of the blue wall, and also it was working in 0.30 .
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FuhQuake Forum Index -> Bug Reports All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: