FuhQuake Forum Index FuhQuake
https://fuhquake.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Request - Pushlatency

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FuhQuake Forum Index -> General ChitChat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MIXU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: Request - Pushlatency Reply with quote

Any chance of pushlatency being brought back ? sucks playing on 120+ ping, RL is really bad for me, out running rockets and shit. Other weapons are ok tho, which is weird! :II
wilho

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I can recall, pushlatency was removed, becouse there was not sane reason to keep anything else there than a it's max value 999, so thats now just hardcoded default.
fkn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually pushlatency was pretty much useless. In older clients, you could set it to any value, generally negative your ping or -999. The client would then automatically vary the pushlatency to be negative ping down to the value you specified(i.e. if you set it to -50, with 40 ping, it would be set to -40 by the client). fuh .31 just takes cares off all this on its own.
obey-the-crab

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well actually, that sounds fine if you are on a rock solid ping, but on the internet its very rare to get a ping like that (unless youre on your home servers)

in actual play(especially on foreign servers), what happens is: (assuming solid 77 fps clientside) you have maybe 39ms lag one frame, then the next frame you get 52ms lag, then the next frame you get 39ms lag again, then 39, then 39, then 52, then 100ms, then 39, and so on. if you use pushlatency -40 in this case, qwcl would do prediction up to 39ms lag for every frame, you would notice the slight lag every time your ping spiked to 100ms, but thats it. if you used pushlatency -999 in the same situation, qwcl would do 39ms prediction up to the first 52ms spike, once it saw the spike up to 52ms, it would change to doing 52ms prediction for the next frame.. but the next packet would come in early (because 52ms was a spike.. his real ping is 39), so the client would "jerk" back into position as soon as it got the packet 39ms later (overriding the prediction, and making the prediction crap+inaccurate, as it is causing ur client to be inconsistent). the same thing would happen at the second spike to 100ms, etc.

basically, pushlatency -999 is fine if you are on a solid ping or on a lan, but if you are on a spikey ping it is really bad.. its much better to lock pushlatency to -ping in situations where you have a non-solid ping.
b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-999 is the same as -ping no matter what -ping may be, Be
obey-the-crab

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you even read what i wrote before replying to me?

its a problem caused by the fact that quake cannot tell what your ping is going to be in the NEXT frame, so if your ping is stable, -999 works perfectly, but if your ping is unstable, -999 really fucks up your movement. you need to look at what your ping is, and set pushlatency to -ping manually to avoid this fuckup.
b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

evidently i did

theres no need for pushlatency cvar anymore, else fuh would have left it in
obey-the-crab

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuh probably didnt realise this problem occured..
KillJoy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didn't realize what problem occured? he took it out on purpose, it isn't a bug.
raket

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i have the same problems,
playing fuhquake on unstable connection really suck big balls,
(dl pr0n @ maximum speed+fuh = =[)
i suggest u to use qizmo compression, may or may not solve the problem Smile
u need to know whats wrong with your connection Smile

1. overload - is the isp overloaded? (can't do nothing about it)
2. packetlost - is the isp's router overloaded or wrong configured?
3. what conenction do u have? - cablemodems always seems to be overloaded Neutral
4. are ur dad downloading pr0n? - i suggest u to install linux-router that have connection class control (using iptables+layer-7 Smile), that will guarentee bandwidtht to the quakeworld connection class Cool
and btw, i also want pushlatency back, and autopushlatency to be thrown away
it rules to play with cl_nopred 1 and pushlatency 0 if u are on 0.5ms to the server Smile
Eizo 19"
Linux, etc :>~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
waxor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, bring pushlatency back. Why not give people a choice rather than forcing them to use -999? The only thing stopping me and others from switching to fuhquake permanently...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FuhQuake Forum Index -> General ChitChat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: