FuhQuake Forum Index FuhQuake
https://fuhquake.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Enhanced Config-Management?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FuhQuake Forum Index -> General ChitChat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Massa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 5:23 am    Post subject: Enhanced Config-Management? Reply with quote

I really like the configuration management of v0.25.

Now I thought about things which I either do not understand or like to be enhanced Smile

First, is there a difference between "exec name.cfg" and "cfg_load name.cfg"?
If not (or only the directory), why not adding the fuhquake/configs directory to the algorithm of used configuration directories, so that there will be also searched for configuration files at startup?

I really have some problems with the configurations when using multiple quake/qw-engines. One overwrites the config of the other or cannot read it or it contains a lot variables which the engine does not know...

So I think it would be nice, if you could add some features to the configuration management which makes it possible to split "original" parameter and fuhquake specific ones.
So one thing to do would be to generally add the subdirectory fuhquake and/or fuhquake/configs to the search algorithm in every possible directory.
So it will search for config.cfg, autoexec.cfg, etc. first in the usual places (e.g. gamedir, qw, id1) and then if exists, in corresponding fuhquake subdirectory (gamedir/fuhquake, qw/fuhquake, id1/fuhquake, fuhquake)
And it should automatically load any fuhquake.cfg files which it founds at the coresponding places.

The second thing to do would be to add commands for splitting the configuration parameters in a fuhquake specific parts and a "common" part (e.g. with a new flag "cfg_save_specific").
Then I could save my common settings seperately from my fuhquake-specific parts and copy the common ones to places (and filenames) which other engines also load and the fuh-specific to places where only fuhquake find and load them.

Does somebody understand (in principal) what I suggest Smile? Or am I totally incomprehensible Crying or Very sad?
dkure

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeap i understand

wouldn't this also need to be done for the other clients you use?

or would you make your config.cfg read only?
Massa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice if every client would split the reading (and writing of course) in two parts: common for all clients and special for that client.

But for the beginning it would be enough, when I could use the common settings of fuhquake in other clients too.
So I would generate the settings and then write them as autoexec.cfg in qw or id1...

And as far as I know, the autoexec.cfg will be read after the config.cfg?!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FuhQuake Forum Index -> General ChitChat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: