FuhQuake Forum Index FuhQuake
https://fuhquake.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FuhQuake: glx/mainmenu.png, FreeBSD patches, etc..

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FuhQuake Forum Index -> Help Desk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danfe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:54 am    Post subject: FuhQuake: glx/mainmenu.png, FreeBSD patches, etc.. Reply with quote

Hi Fuh,

I'm currently upgrading FreeBSD port of FuhQuake, and, as you probably know, I patch it a bit, allowing both `Help/Ordering' and `MP3 Player' main menu options to co-exist (so users' won't be confused). I've patched gfx/mainmenu.lmp myself (that is, I distribute patched pak0.pak with gfx/mainmenu_mp3.lmp with FreeBSD' fuhquake, I can send you a copy shall you need it), but I don't think I'll made a perfect version of .PNG main menu (which is used when fuhquake is rendered GLX, for instance) myself.

So my question is, can you send me the .PNG version of original main menu (where `MP3 Player' is really a `Help/Orders' menu option)? Or at least explain how you did it (so I can be sure that everything is right). Thanks in advance. May be you switched to PNG before doing MP3 support, so in this case you can probably simply send me that oldy version of fuhquake, and I'll dig the file out myself. Cool

As a side note, there still some places where fuhquake can be made more FreeBSD friendly, without bringing any risk of breaking other architectures or obfuscating source code. I've collected overall-neutral (non-FreeBSD-specific) patches at http://193.124.210.26/fq-585-patchset1.tar.gz (they're also attached to the letter I've sent you about 2 weeks ago). Hope you'll consider them worth looking at.

Last but not least, thank you for all the great work you are doing in QuakeWorld arena. This is really awesome!

./danfe

P.S. One more thing. One of patch-files in a patch-pak, `patch-r_part.c', is really a dirty, dirty work-around for the problem that fuhquake-glx is not buildable when x86 assembler is disabled (#undef id386). As you might guess, this is a needed option for some of us who want to play GLX under non-intel platforms. Fascinating, this issue occurs starting with 0.30 version of FuhQuake; 0.28 is immune it this (and thus is more portable out of the box!). May I ask you to take a look, possibly investigate, and come up with some solution? It might sound that I ask too much, but I don't think that that many want to rewrite x86 assembler stuff, and, considering the fact that we would switch over to IA64 and AMD64 in some near future (where x86-optimized routines won't be any help), it seems that portability issue steps in front. Just my $.20..
fuh
Almighty King

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, I'll look at it ASAP . Note that there is a build 650 source @ https://fuhquake.net/files/releases/v0.31/fuhquake-source-v0.31.zip . It contains the menu windowed_mouse fix, and perhaps others from your last patch set .

There is no 24bit menu image with help/ordering and I have no idea how to make such things myself .

Edit: The link doesn't work for me. Also, my email deletes anything with an attachment unless it has "FORFUH" in the subject (no spaces) .

Last edited by fuh on Sun Feb 22, 2004 6:18 am; edited 1 time in total
danfe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuh wrote:
thanks, I'll look at it ASAP . Note that there is a build 650 source @ https://fuhquake.net/files/releases/v0.31/fuhquake-source-v0.31.zip .

Cool, I'll consider this for my FreeBSD port update.

fuh wrote:
There is no 24bit menu image with help/ordering and I have no idea how to make such things myself .

Ok then, so can you give me some sort of a contact of the person who did this 24-bit main menu .PNG for you? Or should I ask in ``24-bit textures'' forum? I'll much appreciate it.

fuh wrote:
Edit: The link doesn't work for me.

Yeah, I've suspected this. It's because of our local internetwork problems here in Novosibirsk, Russia. Either try http://danfe.machos.ru/fq-585-patchset1.tar.gz or tell me where I can upload it for you.

P.S. Thanks for a quick reply. It's nice working with you. Smile
fuh
Almighty King

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool got it. note that I edited by above post to mention that b650 sources contain some but not all fixes from the last patchset . Hmm, theres a thread in the 24bit textures menu about save/load menu images. You might want to reply to that asking for a help/ordering (https://fuhquake.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2490).

Also note that 0.31/650 loads libpng and libjpeg with dlopen() and so forth. Hence the static lib's or -lpng etc are not needed (and the binary can run if such libs are not installed on the system).
newfoundwealth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to thank fuh and danfe for the outstanding quality of the linux and freebsd versions of fuhquake. The freebsd port is in fact possibly superior to the linux download, as it fetches all files for you, and you are ready to go Smile

I was wondering though, about the graphics performance. I get a constant 72fps on freebsd, but I get a lot of tearing, even though I have my refresh rate at 72 also. It doesn't look like double buffering is enabled or something.
Thanks for any help.
Ba`alzamon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey danfe, quick question. which non x86 platforms are you aware of that fuhquake runs fine on, in freebsd?

thanks.
fuh
Almighty King

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEC alpha no doubt.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FuhQuake Forum Index -> Help Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: